IGTV or Instagram Reels: What’s The Difference?
When it comes to Instagram marketing, there’s a lot of choice. And for those who are relatively new to social media and the ever-evolving Instagram platform, it can often get quite confusing! You might have noticed the rise of video-centric features across social media platforms, and Instagram has certainly been working on these features.
Let’s take a look at the key differences between IGTV and Instagram Reels, and the benefits of each…
INSTAGRAM TV (IGTV)
You could almost call IGTV the ‘YouTube’ of the Instagram platform. Although it isn’t a direct competitor to YouTube, it can certainly be considered a valid video platform in its own right. With IGTV, Instagram users can upload their pre-recorded, high-quality videos straight to Instagram. They have the option to preview the video in their main profile grid or not, and there is also the option to upload Instagram Live videos straight to IGTV once the live recording has finished.
One key difference previously was the orientation – although you can upload both portrait and landscape videos ot IGTV, portrait tends to be the preferred option on IGTV. Having said that, with the recent introduction of YouTube Shorts, portrait videos are becoming popular on YouTube too.
What are the benefits of IGTV?
* With IGTV’s long-form video content you can deliver more content and value to your audience.
* Make the most of your IGTV videos by posting a preview to your feed which can also be shared to your stories.
* Group your videos together with the IGTV series feature.
* IGTV has a standalone app separate from the main Instagram app, allowing users to watch, engage and create.
With the growing success of TikTok and the increasing popularity of video-centric content, it’s hardly a surpise that Instagram rolled out a short-format video feature! With Instagram Reels, users can upload short videos up to 30 seconds in length. This video feature is popular for content such as tips, entertaining content, behind-the-scenes footage, and brand promotions.
Instagram has been pushing Reels since its launch, and users have been taking advantage of the increased visibility and reach by using the feature. Likewise, many businesses have been taking advantage of the feature.
What are the benefits of Instagram Reels?
* Benefit from increased reach and visibility since Instagram are pushing the feature.
* Quality short-form video content can help to increase engagement.
* Add original audio or music from the Instagram library.
* Use the AR effect gallery to add filters.
* Adjust the speed of each clip.
* Combine multiple video clips.